Testing the Prophets

Sabbath School Class—Life as Discovery and Hope

http://ssclassnotes.blogspot.com

 February 7, 2009

Larry R Evans 

Introduction

 

I must have been eight or nine years old when I got out of bed, saw the light on in the dining room and tip-toed and looked around the corner.  What I saw would stay with me for the rest of my life. It made a big difference during a rebellious time when I was a teenager.  What I saw was my mother wiping the tears from her cheeks as she read a book.  The book? The book goes by the name The Desire of Ages and was written by Ellen White.  It is a book about the life of Jesus. Our family was having a difficult time in many ways. There were reasons for tears but that is not why they had come.  I knew what my mother was reading and her tears came not from sorrow but from appreciation for what Jesus went through for her.  Years later that image of my mother reading the book about Jesus would flash into my mind.  It provided the brakes I needed from going along with some things my peers were doing. I remember shaking my fists at God  but that picture kept coming back.  It was more than an image of my mother; it was the picture of Jesus that made all the difference.  Years later, after that rebellious period, I came under the strong conviction that I should be baptized.  My pastor, Elder Leroy Moore, used a unique approach in our one-on-one baptismal class.  I met weekly in his home and together we studied the little book Steps to Christ by Ellen  White. I met Jesus anew and thr image of my mother reading from The Desire of Ages remained with me.  We studied other things to be sure but what I remember was our study about Jesus. The pastor’s teachings coincided with the Jesus I saw in my mother and what I knew she was reading. Years later when Carolyn and I were engaged to be married we each bought a copy of a devotional book called “My Life Today.” Weekly and often it was daily, we shared what had impressed us with that day’s reading.  That little book was also written by Ellen White.  Once again her word paintings of Jesus were insightful, penetrating and spiritually awakening and provided a foundation for our new home.  Why do I mention these experiences?  For me it is relevant.  This week we are studying about “Testing the Prophets” and one whom I have grown to believe is a true prophetess--Ellen White.  I am fully aware that some have grown up seeing her writings used as a club and as a means of manipulating to bring about “good behavior.”  Such scars are not easily erased.  Tactics like these normally speak more about those who misused the counsels and prophecies than the writings themselves.  I’ve never felt that way about Ellen White. I am fortunate.  While in Seminary we would study Scripture first and then on occasions some sections of Ellen White’s writings were referenced, discussed and carefully considered. As a result Scripture came alive and to this day I attribute my deep appreciation of Scripture to the way Ellen White in her writings upheld the Bible.  The spirit and attitude of those who ridicule her and her writings are hurtful but they are not strong enough to take away the Jesus I was introduced to by Ellen White and those who presented her ministry in a well-balanced way.  There is much truth when the Bible says, “Do not put out the Spirit’s fire, do not treat prophecies with contempt.” (1 Thess 5:19,20--NIV)  While we test we must not put out the fires of conviction created by God’s true prophets.  Thank God for the gift of prophecy!

Reflective Quiz

1.    When Ellen White announced she was a prophetess the news was not well received.  True or False? 

2.    In Scripture we learn that God primarily used dreams and visions to communicate with His messengers.  True or False?   [Num 12:6; Matt. 1:20; Isa 1:1; Acts 9:10]

3.    Hananiah is an example of how a true prophet of God has a message that does not contradict what other prophets have said.  True or False? [Jer 25:11 and 28:15-17]

4.    If a prophet prophesies something and it does not come to pass, then he or she is a false prophet.  True or False?  [Jer 18:6-10; 28:9]

5.    What one thinks about Jesus can be a test of his authenticity as a prophet of God.  True or False?  [1 Jn 4:12; Acts 4:12; Testimony to Ministers, p.367]

6.    The “orchard tests” of the Bible indicates that what one eats can determine if a prophet is true or false?  True or False?  [Matt 7:20]

7.    A known character flaw disqualifies one from being a true prophet for God.  True or False?  [Gen 12:12,13; Jonah 1:1-3; Gal 2:11-14]

Conclusion

[ To Follow With Teaching Notes In a Few Days]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lessons From Would-be Disciples . . . OR . . . How to Flunk While Getting "A's"

Aug 11 -- Class Notes-- Samson & His Women

Preparing a People