A Life of Praise OR Why You Should Join the Choir!

Sabbath School Class
December 1, 2007
Larry R Evans

Questions for Reflection

1. Praise sustains faith. [Rom 10:17] True or False?

2. Praise is something we do in church. [Philip 4:4] True or False?

3. Praise is an act of faith. [Philip 4:4-7] True or False?

4. The names for God give reasons for hope. True or False?

5. Praise is something we do to affirm the positives we see God doing. [Psalm 145; Hab 3:17,18] True or False?

6. We learn from Jehoshapat’s experience that when fighting our battles, we do not need to face the enemy because God will fight the battle for us. [2 Chron 20:1-30] True or False?

INTRODUCTION

If you want to find enthusiasm in the Bible, I mean goose bump excitement, I suggest that you turn to Rev. 5:11-14. There you will find so much excitement that you sense the author is having a problem finding the right words. Listen to the words and sense the exhilaration of the moment:

Rev 5:11-14
11 Then I looked and heard the voice of many angels, numbering thousands upon thousands, and ten thousand times ten thousand. They encircled the throne and the living creatures and the elders. 12 In a loud voice they sang:

"Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain,
to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength
and honor and glory and praise!"

13 Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, singing:

"To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb
be praise
and honor and glory and power,
for ever and ever!"

14 The four living creatures said, "Amen," and the elders fell down and worshiped. (from New International Version)

Our study today is about “praise” and I would like to begin our reflections with a simple question: When we come to church to worship God, “Where is He?” Is He “on” the platform up front, “in” the audience or is He “the” audience? Where is your focus when you worship?

Does our answer to the question make any difference as to how we enter into worship? Who are the participants – those up front, those in the pews or both? How can we avoid making participants performers rather than leaders of worship? What attitude do we need to have? Do they need to have? Perhaps we’ve never really given it much thought. Is our worship directed towards ourselves and our needs or is it directed towards God and what He has done and promises to do? Can our spiritual needs be met in a worship that centers on praise?

I would like to suggest that how we think of worship is often a reflection of how we see God and ourselves and vice versa. Today we will only touch the subject but the subject of “praise” is a good way to begin.

Reflective Study

1. Praise sustains faith. [Rom 10:17] True

This is where true worship comes in! If we see worship as a performance rather than a focus on what God has done and is doing then we lessen the benefits of worship. Keep in mind:

Rom 10:17-18
17 Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ. (NIV)

The message, the worship experience, that is founded on the word of Christ does build faith.

2. Praise is something we do in church. [Philip 4:4] True and False

Luke 19:37-38
37 When he came near the place where the road goes down the Mount of Olives, the whole crowd of disciples began joyfully to praise God in loud voices for all the miracles they had seen:

38 "Blessed is the king who comes in the name of the Lord!"
"Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!" (NIV)

Phil 4:4
4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! (NIV)

3. Praise is an act of faith. [Philip 4:4-7] True

Heb 11:1-3
11:1 Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. 2 This is what the ancients were commended for.
3 By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God's command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible. (NIV)

Phil 4:4-7
4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice
! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (NIV)

As Ellen White viewed the beginnings of the work in Washington,D.C. note how she combined both faith and praise with gospel work:

“Sometimes I hardly know how to express my gratitude to God because the work in this place has actually begun. We are to remember that we can now see simply the alpha; we desire to see the omega. Having begun, let us not cease our efforts before completing the work. Christ declares, "I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end." He has been with us at the beginning: and he will round out all the work we shall do, if by faith we continue to walk in the way in which he leads. {RH, May 26, 1904 par. 31}

Let us talk faith, and not unbelief; let us praise God, and go forward. The Lord is good, and greatly to be praised. At every step let us praise him from whom all blessings flow. {RH, May 26, 1904 par. 32}

4. The names for God give reasons for hope. True

A Few Hebrew Names and Their Meanings

Adonai-Jehovah -- The Lord our Sovereign
El-Elyon -- The Lord Most High
El-Olam -- The Everlasting God
El-Shaddai -- The God Who is Sufficient for the Needs of His People
Jehovah-Elohim -- The Eternal Creator
Jehovah-Jireh -- The Lord our Provider
Jehovah-Nissi -- The Lord our Banner
Jehovah-Ropheka -- The Lord our Healer
Jehovah-Shalom -- The Lord our Peace
Jehovah-Tsidkenu -- The Lord our Righteousness
Jehovah-Mekaddishkem -- The Lord our Sanctifier
Jehovah-Sabaoth -- The Lord of Hosts
Jehovah-Shammah -- The Lord is Present
Jehovah-Rohi -- The Lord our Shepherd
Jehovah-Hoseenu -- The Lord our Maker
Jehovah-Eloheenu -- The Lord our God

The "I AM's" of God

I AM
I AM THAT I AM
I am a father to Israel
I am a great King
I am alive for evermore (Jesus)
I am Alpha and Omega (Jesus)
I am for you
I am from above (Jesus)
I am God
I am God Almighty
I am gracious
I am he
I am he that comforteth you
I am he that doth speak
I am he that liveth, and was dead (Jesus)
I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts (Jesus)
I am holy
I am in the midst of Israel
I am married unto you
I am meek and lowly in heart (Jesus)
I am merciful
I am the Almighty God
I am the bread of life (Jesus)
I am the door (Jesus)
I am the door of the sheep (Jesus)
I am the first and the last
I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob
I am the God of thy fathers
I am the good shepherd (Jesus)
I am the light of the world (Jesus)
I am the living bread (Jesus)
I am the LORD
I am the LORD, and there is none else
I am the Lord GOD
I am the LORD in the midst of the earth
I am the LORD that doth sanctify you
I am the LORD that healeth thee
I am the LORD that maketh all things
I am the LORD that smiteth
I am the LORD, the God of all flesh
I am the LORD thy God
I am the LORD thy God from the land of Egypt
I am the LORD thy God that divideth the sea
I am the LORD thy God which leadeth thee by the way that thou shouldest go
I am the LORD thy God which teacheth thee to profit
I am the LORD which exercise loving-kindness, judgment, and righteousness
I am the LORD which hallow you
I am the LORD, your Holy One
I am the resurrection, and the life (Jesus)
I am the root and offspring of David (Jesus)
I am the Son of God (Jesus)
I am the vine (Jesus)
I am the way, the truth, and the life (Jesus)
I am their inheritance (speaking of the priests)
I am thy exceeding great reward
I am thy part and thine inheritance (said to the Levites)
I am thy salvation
I am thy Savior
I am thy shield
I am with thee
I am with thee to deliver thee
I am with thee to save thee
I am with you alway (Jesus)

The "Who" Names/Characteristics of God

Who also maketh intercession for us (Jesus)
Who answered me in the day of my distress
Who calleth those things which be not as though they were
Who comforteth us in all our tribulation
Who commanded the light to shine out of darkness
Who coverest thyself with light as with a garment
Who crowneth thee with loving-kindness and tender mercies
Who daily loadeth us with benefits
Who dwelleth on high
Who forgiveth all thine iniquities
Who gave himself a ransom for all (Jesus)
Who gave himself for our sins (Jesus)
Who giveth food to all flesh
Who giveth rain upon the earth
Who giveth songs in the night
Who giveth us richly all things to enjoy
Who hath abolished death (Jesus)
Who hath also sealed us
Who hath ascended up into heaven (Jesus)
Who hath bound the waters in a garment
Who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus
Who hath called you unto his kingdom and glory
Who hath established all the ends of the earth
Who hath gathered the wind in his fists
Who hath given me counsel
Who hath given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts
Who hath his eyes like unto a flame of fire
Who hath redeemed my soul out of all adversity
Who hath redeemed us from our enemies
Who hath saved us and called us with a holy calling
Who hast done great things
Who hast set thy glory above the heavens
Who healeth all thy diseases
Who humbleth himself to behold the things that are in heaven and in the earth
Who is above all
Who is blessed for ever
Who is over all (Jesus)
Who is rich in mercy
Who is worthy to be praised
Who keepest covenant and mercy
Who laid the foundations of the earth, that it should not be removed for ever
Who layeth the beams of his chambers in the waters
Who liveth for ever and ever
Who loved me, and gave himself for me (Jesus)
Who maketh the clouds his chariot
Who maketh his angels spirits; his ministers a flaming fire
Who only doeth wondrous things
Who only hath immortality
Who quickeneth all things
Who quickeneth the dead
Who redeemeth thy life from destruction
Who remembered us in our low estate
Who rideth upon the heaven in thy help
Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things
Who shall bless thee
Who shall help thee
Who shall stablish you, and keep you from evil
Who stretchest out the heavens like a curtain
Who taketh vengeance
Who walketh upon the wings of the wind
Who was delivered for our offenses (Jesus)
Who was faithful to him that appointed him (Jesus)
Who was raised again for our justification (Jesus)
Who was with me in the way which I went
Who will have all men to be saved

[Reference: http://www.characterbuildingforfamilies.com/names.html]

5. Praise is something we do to affirm the positives we see God doing. [Psalm 145; Hab 3:17,18] True and False

Why say true and “false”? Do we only praise God when things are going our way?

Ps 145:13-16
13 Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom,
and your dominion endures through all generations.
The LORD is faithful to all his promises
and loving toward all he has made.
14 The LORD upholds all those who fall
and lifts up all who are bowed down.
15 The eyes of all look to you,
and you give them their food at the proper time.
16 You open your hand
and satisfy the desires of every living thing.
(from New International Version)

But there are also other times when we can’t see the end from the beginning, when things look bleak!

Hab 3:16-19
16 I heard and my heart pounded,
my lips quivered at the sound;
decay crept into my bones,
and my legs trembled.
Yet I will wait patiently for the day of calamity
to come on the nation invading us.
17 Though the fig tree does not bud
and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
and no cattle in the stalls,
18 yet I will rejoice in the LORD,
I will be joyful in God my Savior.
19 The Sovereign LORD is my strength;
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
he enables me to go on the heights.
(from New International Version)

6. We learn from Jehoshapat’s experience that when fighting our battles, we do not need to face the enemy because God will fight the battle for us. [2 Chron 20:1-30] False

We’ve given a sub-title to our study today, “Why you should join the choir!” The idea came from the story of Jehoshapat. See 2 Chron 20:1-30 At first glance it is a very strange story. Who would ever think of sending a choir to face a fierce enemy! Yet that is exactly what God told Jehosphat to do. Notice excerpts from this story:

2 Chron 20:1-23

20:1 After this, the Moabites and Ammonites with some of the Meunites came to make war on Jehoshaphat.
3 Alarmed, Jehoshaphat resolved to inquire of the LORD, and he proclaimed a fast for all Judah. 4 The people of Judah came together to seek help from the LORD; indeed, they came from every town in Judah to seek him.
12 O our God, will you not judge them? For we have no power to face this vast army that is attacking us. We do not know what to do, but our eyes are upon you."
13 All the men of Judah, with their wives and children and little ones, stood there before the LORD.
14 Then the Spirit of the LORD came
15 He said: "Listen, King Jehoshaphat and all who live in Judah and Jerusalem! This is what the LORD says to you: 'Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God's. 16 Tomorrow march down against them. 17 You will not have to fight this battle. Take up your positions; stand firm and see the deliverance the LORD will give you, O Judah and Jerusalem. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Go out to face them tomorrow, and the LORD will be with you.'"
18 Jehoshaphat bowed with his face to the ground, and all the people of Judah and Jerusalem fell down in worship before the LORD. 19 Then some Levites from the Kohathites and Korahites stood up and praised the LORD, the God of Israel, with very loud voice.
20 Early in the morning they left for the Desert of Tekoa. As they set out, Jehoshaphat stood and said, "Listen to me, Judah and people of Jerusalem! Have faith in the LORD your God and you will be upheld; have faith in his prophets and you will be successful." 21 After consulting the people, Jehoshaphat appointed men to sing to the LORD and to praise him for the splendor of his holiness as they went out at the head of the army, saying:

"Give thanks to the LORD,
for his love endures forever."

22 As they began to sing and praise, the LORD set ambushes
against the men of Ammon and Moab and Mount Seir who were invading Judah, and they were defeated. 23 The men of Ammon and Moab rose up against the men from Mount Seir to destroy and annihilate them. After they finished slaughtering the men from Seir, they helped to destroy one another(from New International Version)

It is true that God fought the battle but not until Jehoshaphat faced the enemy. He could not ignore the enemy nor run from them. He faced the enemy by taking the desperate challenge before the Lord in all humility. The threat of destruction was met when faith was expressed with songs of praise. The choir won the battle as they sang praises. God fought. They sang! When facing temptations of all kinds perhaps, just perhaps, we can show once again that testimonies of praise defeats Satan’s most intense attacks.

Rev 12:10-11
10 Then I heard a loud voice in heaven say:
“Now have come the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God,
and the authority of his Christ.
For the accuser of our brothers,
who accuses them before our God day and night,
has been hurled down.

11 They overcame him
by the blood of the Lamb
and by the word of their testimony;

they did not love their lives so much
as to shrink from death.(NIV)

Concluding Reflections

“And while I adore and magnify Him, I want you to magnify Him with me. Praise the Lord even when you fall into darkness. Praise Him even in temptation. "Rejoice in the Lord alway," says the apostle; "and again I say, Rejoice." Will that bring gloom and darkness into your families? No,

indeed; it will bring a sunbeam. You will thus gather rays of eternal light from the throne of glory and scatter them around you. Let me exhort you to engage in this work, scatter this light and life around you, not only in your own path, but in the paths of those with whom you associate. Let it be your object to make those around you better, to elevate them, to point them to heaven and glory, and lead them to seek, above all earthly things, the eternal substance, the immortal inheritance, the riches which are imperishable.” (E.G. White, Testimonies to the Church, Vol.2, p. 293-294)

Ps 145:3-5
3 Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised; and his greatness is unsearchable.
4 One generation shall praise thy works to another, and shall declare thy mighty acts.
5 I will speak of the glorious honour of thy majesty, and of thy wondrous works.
KJV

Let us never forget the power of praise whether it be in a worship service or when facing the darkest of days. “Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lessons From Would-be Disciples . . . OR . . . How to Flunk While Getting "A's"

Preparing a People

Aug 11 -- Class Notes-- Samson & His Women